New Daily PPA & Release Plan for 1.4.0

Hi everyone!

*Daily PPA*
I have setup a LaunchPad recipe (
https://code.launchpad.net/~openshot.code/+recipe/openshot-daily) which
takes the latest source code from our trunk, and the latest Debian packaging
scripts from our Debian branch, and builds a daily version (assuming their
are new commits in our trunk).  The resulting packages are then
automatically uploaded to a NEW Daily PPA:
https://code.launchpad.net/~openshot.developers/+archive/daily.  I tried my
best to give this PPA a "scary" name so only testers will install it.  I
haven't tested this new PPA yet, but I finally got it to build and publish
without error... so hopefully it works good.  I'm going to give it a test
tonight.

*Plans for 1.4.0:*
This is going to happen really fast, so try and keep up. =)  I have filed a
new bug report <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlt/+bug/848573>to
sync the newest version of MLT (0.7.4-3) from Debian unstable to
Ubuntu
11.10's repository.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get the Ubuntu developers to
approve the request, since the "Feature Freeze" for 11.10 is already in
effect.  Andy and I are freezing the code base of OpenShot as of today, for
any new features.  Translations will take place over the next 10 days (or
so), and I will be posting a new blog entry to help motivate and recruit
translators.  This gives us 10 days to test OpenShot 1.4.0 on the following
platforms (Lucid, Maverick, Natty, and Oneiric).  Hopefully, the daily PPA
will allow more people to help us test than normal.  During this 10 days,
only bug fixes, and translation updates will happen.  Then we release 1.4.0
to Debian and our PPA somewhere between September 23rd and 26th.  We'll let
users give it a try for 1 or 2 days, and be sure we don't have any "huge"
bugs.  Then we'll submit a sync request (with feature freeze exception) to
Ubuntu 11.10, and cross our fingers they will accept it.

I would encourage every single person on this mailing list to help us test.
 We have a very short window of time to get this released in time for Ubuntu
11.10.  I think it's very important we get our newest code into Ubuntu, due
to the fact we are now a "Featured Application", and our user base will
likely increase substantially over the next release cycle.  So, please,
please, please help us test during the next 10 days.  Our new Daily PPA
combined with a clean Ubuntu install on VirtualBox is a great combination
for testing.  Good luck to us all! =)

Thanks!
-Jonathan

Follow ups