Re: Ironic docs & Service name standards

On 06/25/2015 04:10 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx
<mailto:aj@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 06/25/2015 12:04 PM, Steve Gordon wrote:

        ----- Original Message -----

            From: "Andreas Jaeger" <aj@xxxxxxxx <mailto:aj@xxxxxxxx>>
            To: "Lana Brindley" <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>,
            openstack-doc-core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:openstack-doc-core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

            On 06/25/2015 02:16 AM, Lana Brindley wrote:

                Hi everyone,

                First of all, I'm sorry that the Ironic docs thing has
                turned into a bit
                of a disaster. I had no idea that we were going to end
                up in a standards
                argument over this, but I'm still hopeful that we can
                see a path through
                this.

                The problem: A number of patches (mostly created by
                Shilla, if I'm not
                mistaken) are now being blocked in the Ironic repo by an
                Ironic core who
                doesn't agree with our standards. While they're
                certainly entitled to
                question our standards, blocking the patches means that
                other good work
                is not getting merged.

                The solution: I'm not certain. Right now, what I want to
                do is send
                email to Devananda (the Ironic PTL) with a list of the
                patches being
                blocked, so we can determine if there's a way we can
                appease the Ironic
                core team's concerns over standards. Shilla (and others
                who have a patch
                out on this), can you please send me a list of the
                patches currently
                being blocked?

                The fallout: We're already arguing about the standard in
                question on our
                own list, and the community seems deeply divided. I
                personally don't
                care about the capitalisation of service names, and am
                happy to enforce
                whatever the community decides. That said, I feel as
                though the
                community is unlikely to come to a solid conclusion on
                this. Do cores
                have an opinion? If there is a strong tendency amongst
                this group,
                perhaps it's easier to just go with that and adjust
                accordingly. Please
                feel free to debate this topic on this thread.

            So, this is "Ironic" vs "ironic"?

            I think what needs to be worked out with a project is that our
            conventions are enforced if we work together. Like there are
            hacking
            rules for code which a core team reviews, there are
            documentation rules
            that are under the Documentation team (btw. going to a
            reviewed style
            guide would help with the story;)!

            On the Ironic vs ironic: While I prefer the lower-case, I
            see upper-case
            everywhere.

            It's the number one change that I request during reviews.

            If we want to enforce our documentation style everywhere, it
            might be
            better to not enforce the capitalization or change the rule.

            So, I'm willing to change my vote if that is needed to adopt
            the Doc
            style everywhere ;)

            Anne, is the Doc style adoption a TC discussion?

            What do we need to make our style guide better consumable by
            other projects?

            Andreas

        This is the patch in question:

        https://review.openstack.org/#/c/194230/1/reference/projects.yaml

        It's about Bare metal service versus Bare Metal service.

    Thanks!

    Ah, that one ;(

    So, it's "Bare metal service" vs "Bare Metal service" vs "Bare Metal
    Service".

    We did a couple of consistency changes there and might need to go -
    as mentioned in the review - over the complete list to have
    consistency. And that discussion we need to have and I think Docs
    should have final say on it - but up for the TC,

Yes, it is up to the TC but they certainly want docs team input. I've
put my input on the patch itself:

---

For context: we are in this situation because of legal names, where some
of the original governance allowed projects to use "OpenStack" in the
docs as part of their name very early on. So, sometimes the phrasing
needed "service" to help with readability. Also, legally we were
required to use module due to branding with the OpenStack name.

So, the convention is:

  * Uppercase first letter of first word only.
  * Do not use OpenStack in the name of the service.
  * Use module if it is consuming other services (such as heat).
  * Use service in general as that is mostly what is being added as
    projects.

Now that we have the interop and brand guidelines, the use of OpenStack
in a name in the docs is not needed, but we still need to be very
careful and considerate in naming consistently.

Bare metal fits our first naming rule.

Changing these back and forth is not helpful. I will better document the
naming conventions in the governance repo to avoid this in the future.

---

But here's what I really want to say. To be high-value contributors to
all the projects we must avoid the reputation of being nit pickers.

So, your advise for projects like Ironic would be not to send a number of patches that change all conventions and don't do anything else?

And newly written docs that mix with existing ones? Which conventions should those use?

Please review my rules above and see how they work for you in the docs,
especially for the newest projects that came in the last two weeks. I
will write a patch that describes the guidance for the governance repo
based on input here.

One example: Object Storage.

And we should probably merge our wiki page with the text below or make it clearer why we use "OpenStack Compute" but "Orchestration module for OpenStack".

Current list of services in projects.yaml:
  service: Compute
  service: Object Storage
  service: Image service
  service: Identity
  service: Dashboard
  service: Networking
  service: Block Storage
  service: Telemetry
  service: Orchestration
  service: Database service
  service: Bare metal service
  service: Common libraries
  service: Deployment
  service: Message service
  service: Data processing service
  service: Key management service
  service: DNS service
  service: Containers service
  service: Shared file systems
  service: Application catalog
  service: command line client
  service: Governance service
  service: Benchmark service
  service: Workflow service
  service: Key-Value Store as a Service
  service: Puppet modules for the OpenStack components
  service: Chef cookbooks for the OpenStack components
  service: Search service
  service: Ansible Playbooks and Roles for the deployment of OpenStack

Andreas
   GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)