Re: Ironic docs & Service name standards

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/25/2015 12:04 PM, Steve Gordon wrote:

Yes, it is up to the TC but they certainly want docs team input. I've put
my input on the patch itself:

---

For context: we are in this situation because of legal names, where some of
the original governance allowed projects to use "OpenStack" in the docs as
part of their name very early on. So, sometimes the phrasing needed
"service" to help with readability. Also, legally we were required to use
module due to branding with the OpenStack name.

So, the convention is:

   - Uppercase first letter of first word only.
   - Do not use OpenStack in the name of the service.
   - Use module if it is consuming other services (such as heat).
   - Use service in general as that is mostly what is being added as
   projects.

Now that we have the interop and brand guidelines, the use of OpenStack in
a name in the docs is not needed, but we still need to be very careful and
considerate in naming consistently.

Bare metal fits our first naming rule.

Changing these back and forth is not helpful. I will better document the
naming conventions in the governance repo to avoid this in the future.

---

But here's what I really want to say. To be high-value contributors to all
the projects we must avoid the reputation of being nit pickers.

Please review my rules above and see how they work for you in the docs,
especially for the newest projects that came in the last two weeks. I will
write a patch that describes the guidance for the governance repo based on
input here.

Thanks,
Anne