Re: Bug triaging issue

On 2015-09-29 07:20, Alexandra Settle wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve been noticing in the last few months (and I’m sure it’s been a
problem before) that we have contributors submitting bug reports, and
then immediately fixing before triage,  or there are patches without
bugs (or blueprints) and it’s becoming quite confusing.

I am finding that this is a problem because some of these bugs are
personal issues they’re finding with their individual builds, or on
occasion it is a bug that needs to be fixed and individuals are offering
the wrong solutions and immediately trying to patch it up in the
documentation.

Personally, I’m unsure how to solve this issue, and wondering if we can
get a think tank going on how to solve this.

So far all I’ve been able to do is to remind contributors to wait for a
second individual to triage, or the patch is eventually abandoned due to
several negative reviews (which, ultimately encourages said contributor
not to come back because we look like a very negative community).

We can do more “bug triaging days”, but not everyone is to give the time
to this exercise.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Questions?

This is not a simple topic, thanks for raising it!

Some OpenStack projects encourage this behaviour - if you send a patch without a bug, they often ask for a bug that you create and assign directly to you...

Also, we have Documentation like
 http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#working-on-bugs
 https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugTriage

Neither asks for an independent review.

I acknowledge the problems we have and I think this might be a broader topic to discuss - not on this limited list but perhaps together with developers on openstack-dev? Or in some cross-project meeting?

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)