Re: Review Rigour

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:43 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/08/2016 12:42 PM, Alexandra Settle wrote:
> > In theory I liked Anne’s idea, but I admit my poor heart probably could
> not handle the amount of technical debt we’d essentially be lumping upon
> ourselves.
> >
> > With that in mind, I think that’s a fair comment that we lower the
> barrier to entry. I know I am terrible for nitpicking a patch within an
> inch of its life. But I suppose that raises the question, where’s the line?
> >
> > We have the contributor guide for a reason – if someone fails to follow
> it are we to start editing the patches ourselves to make the contributor
> feel at ease, or are we just to let it through when it is ‘acceptable’?
> > If the second option is true, what counts as ‘acceptable’? Will we no
> longer be relying as heavily on the contributor guide to ‘guide’ us?
> >
> > Playing devil’s advocate, say we lower the barrier to entry and we use
> the edit function more freely – are we becoming the secretaries of the
> OpenStack doc world? What line in the sand do we draw for cleaning up
> people’s spelling/grammar errors?
> >
> > Sorry for all the questions! Just many thoughts running through my head.
> Let it be known that I definitely think this is a good idea! But I suggest
> some lines are drawn so we are all clearly on the same page.
>

> I think we have to balance. Looking for example at
> https://review.openstack.org/398309 . Here's my reasoning:
>
> +1 It's a completely new change, so better than what we have before
> +0 It does not build, we could fix it easily
> -1 But it's soo inconsistent that bringing it up to the quality level
> would requite
> -2 Not taking it yet since no contact is added to third-party vendor
> list. We agreed to not take these.
>
> So, gave a -1 with links to the above - and wait.
>
> If it were two or three small edits, I would have done it,

Yes, this is even better guidance -- and how much time you have to fix
while reviewing is also a piece of this (because we could end up slowing
down review time because of having to take time to fix). Still, by choosing
to focus on leveling up people rather than words, we can see what that
shift could do. If it doesn't give us what we want (better docs, more
contributions) then we try something else.

Anne