Re: Core team review - February 2017

Andreas:
    > Yay on the no drops.

    > Regarding addition: I'm seeing cores as a *team* - even if many of us
    > work on our own, we interact with each other and need help from others.

    > I'd like cores to collaborate - so attending IRC meetings and taking
    > part in discussions. How to encourage these to engage more? At least
    > let's each of them ask for a self-intro on the mailing list if they
    > become core...

    > Abstaining for now on the addition,

I would like to add a suggestion to that – if an individual appears on these lists, is put forward for core, not only do we request that cores attend IRC meetings, discussions on the mailing list, but that they also have at least once taken on the bug triager responsibility for Launchpad.

Anne:
   > I'd like some discussion about how best to onboard new cores - Andreas is onto something with an introduction to the mailing list.
   > Do they want to be cores? Do they know their stats are being watched for this?

This is a really good discussion we should be having. We are losing cores rapidly due to other commitments. Maybe we could introduce something to the Contributor Guide along the lines of “So you want to become a core” within the “documentation team structure” section. However, this might not be as visible as we would like, and a little confusing to find.

I have been thinking that we need to start introducing a better structure to the ‘this is your first week working on manuals’. I would like to publish something similar to a blog post on SuperUser, and perhaps add a new chapter to the Contributor Guide on ‘your first week’ with tips and instructions (Day Two: Find some low hanging fruit bugs, here’s a link).

Unlike other projects, we get a lot of first timers with little-to-no upstream and dev experience and we cannot continue to assume they are just going to read the contributor guide and ‘dive right in’ like we have in the past.

Just some thoughts ☺