Completeness of core

Hey guys,

This is a topic I'd like to discuss in the next PPB meeting.

As Nova and Swift are splitting some non-essential parts out, we need to
make sure that "OpenStack Core" is still self-sufficient and usable.
OpenStack Core projects should not rely on an OpenStack Ecosystem
project for core functionality, otherwise we basically lose control of
critical parts of the chain.

That shouldn't prevent project splits though. For example, the volumes
stuff is essential to basic Nova functionality, and it will be split
into its own project (Cinder). That project should be in core as well,
so that Core stays complete. That means that the code shouldn't be split
until the split project is ready, staffed, running, and aligned with
OpenStack release schedule.

I think it's the responsibility of the PPB to ensure than "OpenStack
core" as a whole is still meaningful, so the PPB should make sure that
core functionality is not removed from core (as a whole).

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack