Re: [OpenStack Foundation] Technical Committee: reserved seats for PTLs (or not)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 12:18 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> [..]
> > So I think the key question is whether the TC should be considered "the
> > college of the PTLs + a number of extra elected people", or "whoever the
> > technical contributors elect for the job, who may or may not also be
> PTLs".
> [..]
>
> Nice summary. Interested folks can also read the debate at last night's
> PPB meeting:
>

> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2012/openstack-meeting.2012-06-19-20.00.log.html
>
> I completely buy your argument that all seats should be elected. And I
> also expect that most PTLs would be elected.
>
> Put it this way - with the "all seats are elected" model, a voting
> contributor gets to weigh up the likely contribution to the committee of
> a given PTL versus other non-PTL candidates. I think that's healthy.

+1

I originally thought, "The PTLs are already elected, why vote again?" but
your arguments about the TC size as we add more projects convinced me it
will be better to use a separate selection process. Some PTLs may not want
to serve on the TC anyway, since it needs to have a more "holistic" view of
OpenStack vs. the focus of managing a specific project.

> Related, I think the committee should be making more of an effort to
> encourage "rough consensus" in the community on the matters under their
> consideration. IMHO, committee members should be voting on "is there a
> workable rough consensus on this matter?" rather than voting based
> purely on their own personal opinion.

Leaders always have a challenge balancing between recognizing group
consensus and codifying it versus influencing the group to move in a
direction it may not want, to but needs, to go. I don't see the TC having
an easier time of this than anyone else in history. :-)

> If that was the case, any PTL who was constructively engaging in a
> debate and helping to reach a consensus would have no fear of being
> ignored.

Agreed. The OpenStack community has better than average collaboration
skills so I don't expect problems with the TC ignoring anyone making
rational arguments.

Doug