From: openstack-qa-team-bounces+donald.ngo=hp.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:openstack-qa-team-bounces+donald.ngo=hp.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Kranz
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 9:15 AM
To: openstack-qa-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack-qa-team] Python wrappers for OpenStack APIs

On 10/17/2011 8:11 AM, Aaron Lee wrote:
> It looks like we have two different issues we are trying to solve here. The first is testing Nova itself, and the second is testing a wrapper to interface with Nova. I think the wrappers should be tested within their own projects. And as long as the wrapper is well understood enough it should be sufficient for testing Nova directly.
I was really talking about the wrapper. I know there are valid reasons
for defining the OpenStack APIs as  HTTP services but no one wants to
code to that low-level, serialized format unless they are actually
writing a unit test for the HTTP API implementation itself.  So other
collections of code that want to call these APIs, including the nova
implementation itself, define their own classes and methods to provide a
suitable abstraction. I was suggesting that there should be one endorsed
and maintained official wrapper that provides a signature and
class-based API to, for example, the OpenStack Compute HTTP API.  That
would probably be a python API since the rest of the code is python but
there could be others as well.

By the way, I was unable to find a spec, xml schema, etc. that actually
defines the arguments and return values for the HTTP OpenStack Compute
API. Is there such a thing?

  -David