openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Tempest and diablo-stable

I re-ran these tests against my instance. Some of these tests could be marked as expected failures pending a decision on what could be considered a bug or what may not be reasonable behavior:

  *   The test_list_images class fails because of a 409 response (the visibility into the exact error is enhanced when using a branch we're trying to get merge propped). This occurs due to trying to take two back-to-back snapshots of the same server. Given that the test waits for the first image to become active before trying to take a second image, it seems like a reasonable expectation that this test should pass. I've been trying to find a dev to bounce this one off with no luck, but to me this is a bug.

  *   test_create_image_from_deleted_server was initially failing due to the fact that the test did not wait until the image was active before trying to delete it. I added the necessary code and re-ran the test. Even with that change, this test is still failing due to a race condition within the test itself. The scenario creates a server, issues a delete request, and then immediately attempts to make an image of that server. From what I've seen there's always a delay between the issuing of a delete request and the server changing status, which this test is slipping between. To make this test more correct, there should be a step polling for a 404 on the GET for that server id.

  *   test_resize_server_revert is a debatable race condition either in the test or Nova itself. I've noted that after a revert resize request is made and the server returns to active status, a GET request to the server will return showing that the flavor for the instance is the proposed value and not the value that the instance reverted to for several (1-5) seconds after the instance becomes active again. I haven't been able to get a decisive answer on this issue. As a tester, I'd like to assume that once an instance switches to a new state, it should be "done", but given that the update follows through very quickly, it may or may not be a priority issue.

  *   test_server_create_metadata_key_too_long is failing because of a bug. I don't see one open for this, but the correct response to this request should be a 413, not a 500. If I can't find an open issue, I'll report this.

We haven't discussed as a group yet the use of the expectedFailure annotation on tests that are known or undecided bugs, but I think it would be a good conversation for this week's QA meeting. I've seen both sides of the "let them fail" and "only show me new failures" debate, and I didn't want to make that decision for anyone. Still, a way to denote that a test is failing due to a known issue really is a must. What I've been doing on my development branch is to add a "bug=lpXXXXX" attribute to any test failing due to a known issue and then deciding on adding the expectedFailure annotation based on the situation. I'd really like to hear other's input on this as we certainly don't want to create confusion going forward.

Daryl