openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Policy for Tests linked to existing Bugs

On 05/04/2012 09:28 AM, David Kranz wrote:
On 5/4/2012 9:08 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
On 05/04/2012 06:14 AM, Karajgi, Rohit wrote:
Hi,

What is the policy that we should or are following for test cases that
fail due to an existing Open Bug in Launchpad?

For eg:
https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tempest/tests/test_list_floating_ips.py#L64

skips the test and posts the Bug ID in the message.

Do we submit the test for review with the @skip(until Bug #xyz is fixed)
decorator applied?

This is the choice that I believe is the easiest and simplest. We just
need to be vigilant to remove the skips when/if the bug is fixed.

-jay

Jay, I agree with the idea that we should check the test in anyway. But
we have the issue of who remembers to remove the skip decorator when the
bug is fixed. Since we are going to be running tempest nightly, I think
it might be better to make these tests fail in the absence of the bug
rather than being skipped. I think there may already be some cases in
Tempest that do this.

Well, we're going to be running Tempest nightly, but also a subset for every commit into any of the core projects... and that subset will be a full merge gate.

So, a further question to answer is whether we treat *some* of the tests differently than others with respect to how skips are handled?

Best,
-jay