openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: XML Testing in Tempest

I think this clearly illustrates why it is so important for QA to be done more in the open, and to post tempest blueprints for largish projects like this. I have a theory that one important reason so many organizations choose not to do this is that once they submit their tests to the public repository (in this case tempest), they have to get every change approved. I had the same issue when we submitted our stress tests. There cannot be any advantage to doing qa in private. We need to make submitting test code free of such barriers. More tests can only be good.

I propose that we set up a 'contrib' part of tempest that is exempt from core review. At some point tests can be moved into tempest proper though, as a gating job, there is a limit to what can be there due to runtime considerations. But we already have a lot of tests running every night distributed across organizations. Why not post the code so others can share and improve it? We would need to:

1. Set up the contrib directory
2. Establish some guidelines for submitting changes to other people's contributions 3. Establish the nightly build for contributed tests, probably including running some outside of jenkins

I am not sure what review flexibility is afforded by gerrit that would help or hinder this effort.

Thoughts?

 -David

On 8/16/2012 3:40 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
Hi Daryl,

DW> Sorry for any confusion.

I share at least half the blame here :/

DW> I've had an implementation for this working for awhile, but failed
DW> to port it in as I was working on getting other features
DW> out. Regardless of the implementation, I'm really happy to see this
DW> flexibility get intoTempest trunk. Since it seems you and your team
DW> have already invested significant work into this, I'll end my effort
DW> and focus on code reviews for the branches you've submitted.

Okay, well, thanks. I guess I should have done some more comprehensive
digging before I started down the path, so sorry for that.

Thanks in advance for the reviews. I know what I've got probably isn't
good enough to merge just yet, but am definitely looking forward to
hearing from some tempestuous folks :)