Re: Guest Agent Ideas

[sorry if this posts twice... don't think LP liked the email address I used to send the first time]

Ed and I were discussing this earlier.  Since I've become the owner of the current Rackspace linux guest agent, I've had some plans to make it easier to change the communication layer so that it can support more than just running under Xen and communicating through XenStore.

On the agent side of things, I'm planning to make the communication layer pluggable.  This means that that XenStore communication will move into some sort of module, and other modules could be created to communicate over the network (via a private host<->guest network interface) or however else we may decide to make it communicate in the future.  The pieces that do the real work like updating the linux distro configuration files for network, etc, shouldn't need to change based on the hypervisor or communication layer.  But, those should be somewhat pluggable as well, because different distros use different configuration files. :)

I'd propose something similar be done on the host (nova) side of things.  If we can stub out simple calls like 'guest_agent.send/receive_request/response' that we can make pluggable, I think this will give us what we want.  Since Rackspace is currently using XenStore for communication, this will obviously be the first 'module' that we'll need to create.

We might need some discussion around 'protocol'.  We currently encode a 'command' and 'command argument' into JSON to stuff into the XenStore.  We may want to create some encoding methods that are also pluggable, I don't know.

I'd love to hear some of the other thoughts about the agent.  There's a page up on the wiki with links to the etherpad that was used during the last design summit here:

http://wiki.openstack.org/GuestAgent

I admit I've not refreshed my mind with it, myself, recently, but I'll be reviewing it RSN. :)

- Chris