Re: Some insight into the number of instances Nova needs to spin up...

We know Amazon is highly, highly elastic.  While the instances launched
per day is impressive, we know that many of those instances have a short
life.  I see Guy is now teaming up with CloudKick on this report.  The EC2
instance ID enables precise measurement of instances launched, and
CloudKick provides some quantitative measure of lifetime of instances.
Last time I checked, those numbers we're something like 3% of EC2
instances launched via CK were still running (as a point of reference,
something like 80% of Rackspace cloud servers were still running).

To meet the elasticity demands of EC2, nova would need to support a high
change rate of adds/deletes (not to mention state polling, resizes, etc).
Is there a nova change rate target as well or just a physical host limit?
The 1M host limit still seems reasonable to me.  Large scale deployments
will break into regions where each region is an independent nova
deployment that each has a 1M host limit.

Erik