Re: Some insight into the number of instances Nova needs to spin up...

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 19:27:09 +0000
Erik Carlin <erik.carlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The 1M host limit still seems reasonable to me. []

In my opinion, such numbers are completely out of whack. Google's Chubby
article says that the busiest Chubby has 90,000 clients (not hosts!) and
the biggest datacenter has 10,000 systems. They found such numbers
pushing the border of unmanageable. Granted they did not use
virtualization, but we're talking the number of boxes in both cases.

So to reach 1M hosts in a Nova instance you have to have it manage
100 datacenters. There are going to be calls for federation of Novas
long before this number is reached.

Sustaining a high flap rate is a worthy goal and will have an
important practical impact. And having realistic sizing ideas is
going to help it.

-- Pete