Re: Glance x-image-meta-type raw vs machine

2011/1/13 Erik Carlin <erik.carlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I would just call it VMDK.  That's what Vmware
> (http://www.vmware.com/technical-resources/interfaces/vmdk.html) and
> everyone else calls it, even though there may be extra files to support
> it.  We're just naming the disk format here.

There are several subtypes of VMDK disk formats: monolithic, sparse,
streamOptimized and more... some have the information selfcontained, other
needs parameter files, other are compressed, some cannot be executed in
VMware ESX without converting it...

If I am not wrong Glance is like a repository of images to serve the
computing nodes. So probably the sparseOptimized format should be the right
VMDK to use. The problem is it has to be converted to a runnable VMDK type
before deploying it.

My 2 cents,
Diego

-