Re: Steps that can help stabilize Nova's trunk

Trey Morris wrote:
> I don't like that it currently only runs on ubuntu + the ppa. If it
> doesn't work with existing versions I think we're doing something wrong.
> Even when natty comes out, I don't like the idea of having to ensure I
> have latest ubuntu for openstack to run.

Maybe with my Ubuntu core developer hat on, I can try to clarify.

Once an Ubuntu version is released, you can't push new versions of
libraries or new features in it, only critical bugfixes.

So when for openstack we happen to need to new version of a library, it
won't run on the current stable version. We have a choice between
avoiding new versions of libraries altogether, or use a PPA to add the
required version.

The route we follow is to provide the new version of the library in a
PPA for the current stable releases (Lucid/Maverick), and update the
development release (Natty) proper.

The end goal being, when Natty goes out, the corresponding Openstack
release (Cactus) runs on it without the need for a PPA. For those that
prefer to run it on an older stable release (or an LTS), the "release"
PPA can be used.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)