Re: Moving code hosting to GitHub

On 04/09/2011 05:21 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> All,
>
> In an effort to speed up our code development processes, reduce the
> friction amongst existing contributors and reduce barriers to entry
> for new contributors familiar with the popular git DVCS, we (the
> OpenStack@Rackspace team) have been studying a transition of our code
> hosting from Launchpad to GitHub. We understand others would be
> proposing the same at the design summit, but we figured it would be
> good to get the discussion started earlier.

It seems that my previous mail never reached the list, so I'll do again.

Launchpad is *EXTREMELY* slow from here in Shanghai, and it should be
even worth from the center of China. Even doing a simple thing like "bzr
launchpad-login" can even fail because of connectivity, and I hardly can
get few KB/s when I do a clone of a bzr repo.

I mostly don't mind so much bzr, even though starting has been really
annoying, and that I don't know much about advanced usage like I would
with Git. But what I welcome the most is the hosting on a platform that
has an acceptable speed from Asia, which really, isn't the case at all
for Launchpad. Also, the fact that Git doesn't do network connections
unless its really needed is very welcome.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Can someone tell me if it is plausible that I can't send from my
zigo@xxxxxxxxxx addr because that one isn't registered to the list,
which would explain failing to send to the list?