From: Jagane Sundar [jagane@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:39 PM
To: Sandy Walsh; Jay Pipes; Ed Leafe
Cc: Mark Washenberger; openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Openstack] distributed and heterogeneous schedulers

What happens if a ZoneManager process dies? When the ZoneManager restarts, the compute nodes will send their attributes to the newly restarted ZoneManager and the in-memory list of attributes will be reconstructed, right?
The only downside to this approach is the (probably short) time that it takes for the restarted ZoneManager to reconstruct its in-memory db of host attributes.

As an unrelated side note, the folks over in Hadoop land use this sort of 'in-memory data-structures fed by heartbeats' approach with much success.

- Jagane