Re: distributed and heterogeneous schedulers

 I'm not sure if this discussion is still going on.
I want to advocate using persistent storage.

 We can consider power-down or power-up of some compute nodes to save power at the low usage of cloud.
(As far as I know) It is not supported by OpenStack now, but I believe it will be.
Let's assume that it is done by zone-manager.
If zone manager keeps capabilities of the compute nodes not in a persistent storage,
and zone manager dies and restarts, it will lose the information (capabilities) of the power-downed nodes.
And the power-downed nodes cannot send its capabilities to the zone manager because it is down.
One way to resolve this problem is that zone manager power-up those power-downed node to get their capabilities.
But, using persistent storage to store capabilities of computes nodes seems to be better solution.

 We USC/ISI are working on heterogeneous architecture support.
The issue of using persistent storage is related to our work.
Currently a compute node sends the information of heterogeneous architecture (such as accelerator type, number of accelerators, etc.) as a part of its capability to zone manager.
Zone manager treats it as a ephemeral data. So, the information of heterogeneous architecture is not stored to a persistent storage.
So, if a zone manager dies and restarts and a compute node with extra information of heterogeneous architecture was powered-down, the zone manager may never be aware of the capability of the power-downed node.

 Thanks,

 Dong-In

Dr. Dong-In David Kang
Computer Scientist