Re: Creating a forum

Jordan Rinke wrote:
> Can anyone name a large successful project that either doesn't have an
> official forum, or that multiple unofficial forums haven't sprung up around?

The Linux Kernel ? Apache HTTPD ? Most projects that have forums are
end-user-oriented, not sysadmin-oriented.

> Also, I looked and phpbb has a mod that allows marking topics as solved,
> selecting a post as the answer and also giving posts solve ratings so I
> think that is a good combination of both worlds (and we could tweak expand
> on the concept if needed)

That doesn't solve the duplication of questions which usually plague forums.

In the end, it all depends on what you're after. If you want a place for
random people to randomly discuss OpenStack, then a forum system is
definitely the good answer. If you want an area where to ask questions
and find answers, then a stackexchange-type site is what you need. Using
one to do the other is a recipe for pain.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack