Re: [Gerrit] Getting "invalid author"

Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks to he fix, "invalid author" problem vanished.
> Now I'm getting "missing Change-Id in commit message" error.
> What is the best way to provide Change-Id to existing commits?
>
> Kind regards, Yuriy.

We've seen two ways of getting commits without Change-Ids from
repositories where the change-id hook _is_ installed:

1) Pulling from a remote repository creates a merge commit.  We want to
avoid this (merge commits can cause confusion and complicate the review
process).  If you look in your history and you see that you created a
merge commit, let me know the steps you took to cause that; we'd like to
document recommended practices that avoid it.

2) Squashing commits and erasing the existing commit message.  An
earlier version of our documentation on squashing commits before
submitting them didn't make it clear that when you're editing the commit
message of a commit you picked while squashing or rebasing, you should
leave the existing Change-Id from the original commit message alone (a
new one won't be created during a rebase command).  If this is what
happened, gerrit should be suggesting a Change-Id in the error message.
If you see that, just run 'git commit --amend' and add it to the bottom
of the commit message, then push to gerrit.

-Jim