Re: OpenStack and OpenFlow

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Yoshisato Ushio <yoshisato.ushio@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
> I am interested in the use of OpenFlow technology with OpenStack. But
> honestly speaking, I have no deep expertise in OpenStack.Then let me ask
> questions.
>
> Q1) In order to use openflow features with OpenStack, such as, Open
> vSwitch or OpenFlow capable HW switches, can I assume that all I should do
> for this is to develop a quantum plugin module for openflow under nova
> manager ?

Hi Yoshisato,

If you are trying to enable the use of OpenStack with a new network
switching technology, then yes, developing a Quantum plugin is the right
way to go.  It may be possible to leverage work done by others writing
similar plugins though.

Since our developer documentation as-of-yet non-existent, I whipped up a
quick wiki page with some advice on developing a plugin:
http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumDevelopment . Others should feel free to
expand on this page.

Also, just to clarify one thing though: Quantum is actually a separate
codebase + runtime process from Nova, so you shouldn't need to modify Nova
itself.

> Q2) Are there any open-source codes of quantum plugin for openflow ?

I doubt that there will be one canonical "openflow plugin" for Quantum, as
OpenFlow itself is really just a protocol to talk to a (virtual or
physical) switch's forwarding table.  There are many different ways to
build a Quantum plugin that uses OpenFlow, each of which make different
trade-offs in terms of scalability, fault-tolerance, complexity,
feature-richness, etc.  You can probably start out by taking a look at some
of the existing plugins and seeing what ideas you can "borrow" with respect
to your own implementation.  Feel free to send email to the netstack list
if you have more detailed questions.

Dan