Re: Nexenta Driver proposal

Hi!

A few thoughts here, purely from a dev-process and CI perspective. I'm
personally thrilled to have driver around that has a team of folks
supporting it - but for OpenStack that has a few specific meanings.

First of all, I'm not in charge, but I'm pretty certain that there is no
way to get this added for diablo. The only things being merged into the
stable/diablo branch are backported fixes from trunk... so I'd
definitely focus your efforts on essex in the master branch.

To get the code into essex, you'll need to submit the code as a patch
via gerrit: http://wiki.openstack.org/GerritWorkflow
When you are ready, you'll want to rebase and squash this into a single
commit on top of master. (it looks like it's a single commit in your
stable/diablo branch already, so you may be in good shape there)

Once you get it ready for master, there is the question of testing. The
CI team has been working with hooking in specialized hardware or
environments from vendors with needs into the OpenStack Jenkins. The
biggest needs we'll have here in order for this to be a first-class
citizen are:

- unittests for this code that can run in a normal x86-based ubuntu
cloud server
- a functional/integration test environment owned and operated by you
that is connected to and triggered by our jenkins on which versions of
openstack to be tested can be installed. I would expect this to be an
environment with solaris/nexenta and an installation of openstack
configured to use it.

We can totally work with you on figuring out how to integrate your
resources into our environment. As a starting place, check out how we're
doing this with our first bare-metal integration environment, which is a
set of machines provided by rackspace:

http://ci.openstack.org/jenkins.html#integration-testing

The specific steps don't need to look like that at all, but it might
give you a better idea of what we'll need to figure out how to get set up.

I don't think the integration environment needs to be a blocker to
getting stuff merged - after all, we're still working on getting that
for the mainline trunk - but ensuring that we've got unittests that are
runnable as part of our normal set of gating tests is essential, from my
point of view.

Thanks for the work so far!

Monty