About keystone concepts: the difference between the key of a credential and the password of a user

I was really confused by the concepts in keystone (I'm a beginner to
OpenStack). When we create a user, we should set the username and password
for this user. According the command "keystone-manage credentials add
[username] [type] [key] [password]([tenant_name])", we still need a key and
a password for a credential. But they are different from the username and
password we created for a user.

connect the swift proxy, the <user> and <key> appear to be the username and
password created for a user.

So, could anyone please help me to clear these concepts and the
relationships among them?  I'v got stuck to run swift and keystone for a
while.

Thanks

Regards,
Sean