Re: How to add new applications to openStack?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Joe Smithian <joe.smithian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a RESTful web application which has already been developed in
> Java using Tomcat and Jersey. I'd like to integrate my application
> into the openstack framework to reuse its web server, database server,
> Message queue server, security, etc.

Hi Joe,

OpenStack does not have its own web server, database server, or
message queue server. OpenStack projects use open source web servers,
database servers and message queue servers -- such as Apache/mod_wsgi,
MySQL/PostgreSQL, and RabbitMQ server.

> I'm new to openstack and python web applications and not sure where to
> start from. I need to know what RESTful framework/library is used in
> openstack and how to add new application to openStack Nova.

The resftul libraries inside current core OpenStack projects are
specific to Python and would not be useful to Java applications.

If your application is indeed a RESTful service, though, there is
really no need to use any of the code in the other OpenStack core
projects -- those projects can communicate with your API via standard
HTTP clients. You should look at the code in the python-novaclient
project for an example of using the Python httplib2 library to make
HTTP calls to RESTful services (regardless of whether those services
are Python or Java servers...)

Cheers!
-jay