Re: [Nova] Essex dead wood cutting

Greetings, Tim!  Took a quick stab, answers/comments in-line.

Cheers,

Wayne

On 1/28/12 2:34 PM, "Tim Bell" <Tim.Bell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>With the Hyper-V support  being phased out, I would be interested to
>understand:
>
>- What hypervisors are being used for running Windows guests (both
>Windows 7
>and Windows Server) on top of OpenStack ?

The quick and dirty answer is KVM, and somewhere along the lines we'll see
Citrix XenServer join the race (hopefully sooner rather than later :)).
Plug for XenServer:  http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment --
maybe Ewan/Anne has an update for when we'll see full blown
XenServer+OpenStack install guides?

>- To what extent will Microsoft support problems reported with a Windows
>guest running on a non-Microsoft hypervisor ?

I think this is a much harder question to answer, as in the past
(http://www.redhat.com/promo/svvp) there has been a reciprocal agreement
between RedHat and MS to support each others efforts on their own
respective virtualization platforms.  Seeing that a) Ubuntu+KVM/libvirt is
the current standard, and b) RedHat is not actively participating in the
OpenStack community it leaves us with a big question mark.   Any companies
out there that are running KVM clouds w/ Windows care to address this?  Do
you have customers that want to know how upstream KVM issues are handled?

Citrix and Microsoft on the other hand have a fairly long standing
partnership, so anything MS products running on XenServer should see a
clear escalation path I'd think.

>- Are there other sites who are affected by this proposal who would be
>willing to invest effort to maintain the Hyper-V support ?

Is there a group that has taken ownership of this?  I know that Jordan
Rinke (Rackspace), Alex Landman and Peter Pouliot (Novell MS Interop Lab @
SUSE) spent a lot of time on Hyper-V in the Bexar/Cactus releases.  They
made pretty significant strides in that period, but the progress has since
subsided.  With the latest movement in the Hyper-V arena, especially
around them trying to get full Ubuntu and Debian support in there, does
that mean it's less and less likely MS will support their products or
competing HV's?