Re: DeltaCloud

In my experience, the API is the most visible yet smallest problem of
working with different clouds.

For example, EC2 and Rackspace Cloud have completely different
approaches to volumes, such that the way you backup your VMs has to be
completely different (disk snapshot vs application level).  Rackspace
Cloud had limited images compared to EC2, so you often couldn't rely
on image-based deployment or the right OS/kernel modules being
available.  Those are the problems that really bite you when trying to
support multiple clouds.

I believe what OpenStack is building is the true cross-cloud API: a
common API with common concepts and functionality.  If you choose the
OpenStack API, I believe there are a half dozen public clouds today
you can use; there are at least as many companies that will help you
build a private cloud.  All with the same API, all with the same basic
behaviour.  By year-end, I suspect the weight of numbers will be
overwhelming.

If you want to add OpenStack support to deltacloud, by all means do
so, but these cross-cloud abstractions are a long-term dead-end, in my
opinion.

Justin