Re: Docs: Would like to introduce indexing. How ?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Anne Gentle <anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Indexing means several things:
>
> 1. A Table of contents list for each chapter or book or section
>
> 2. Headings with military-style numbered headings as unique
> identifiers such as 4.3.1.

I don't know it.
Hard-coding is obviously a bad idea.
This is not how others do it.

> 3. An index of keywords with page number references at the back of a
> traditional print or PDF book

I think 1, but not sure.
Can you take a look ?

A great example is VirtualBox User Manual.
Example PDF:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.8/UserManual.pdf
Example Source Code in XML:
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/doc/manual/en_US/user_GuestAdditions.xml

This is *by far* the best documentation I'we seen.

It has XML sections:
<sect1>
<sect2>
</sect2>
</sect1>

The index is *not* hard-coded, but auto-generated by the PDF compiler.

There you can go to Chapter 3.3.1 easily.

I have tried to change OpenStack XML sections from <section> to
<sect1>, <sect2> but it has no effect on the PDF.
Maybe some compiler flag, that is needed ?

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"