Re: Test Dependencies

On 03/01/2012 08:12 PM, Maru Newby wrote:
Is there any interest in adding unittest2 to the test dependencies for openstack projects?  I have found its enhanced assertions and 'with self.assertRaises' very useful in writing tests.  I see there have been past bugs that mentioned unittest2, and am wondering if the reasons for not adopting it still stand.

++ to unittest2. Frankly, it's a dependency of sqlalchemy, so it gets installed anyway during any installation. Might as well use it IMHO.

Separately, is the use of mox open to discussion?  mock was recently added as a dependency to quantum to perform library patching, which isn't supported by mox as far as I know.

This is incorrect. pymox' stubout module can be used to perform library patching. You can see examples of this in Glance and Nova. For example:

https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/glance/tests/unit/test_swift_store.py#L55

> The ability to do non-replay mocking is another useful feature of mock. I'm not suggesting that mox be replaced, but am wondering if mock could be an additional dependency and used when the functionality provided by mox falls short.

Might be easier to answer with some example code... would you mind pastebin'ing an example that shows what mock can do that mox can't?

Thanks much!
-jay

Thanks,

Maru