Re: Libvirt Snapshots

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 08:13:06AM -0800, Justin Santa Barbara wrote:
> Pedantry: It's QEMU/KVM, not libvirt, that holds the disks open.  The
> pedantry does make a difference here I think...
>
> A more sustainable option than being on the bleeding edge of libvirt
> may be to try to bypass libvirt and issue those safe QEMU monitor
> commands directly.  Libvirt would normally prevent this, but it looks
> like there is a QEMU monitor command built into libvirt:
> http://blog.vmsplice.net/2011/03/how-to-access-qemu-monitor-through.html

The command line and monitor passthrough capability is there as a means
to perform short term workarounds/hacks on a specific version of libvirt,
for functionality not already available via a supported API.

We make absolutely no guarentee that usage of passthrough capabilities
will continue to work correctly if you upgrade to a newer libvirt. As
such it is not something you really want to use as the basis for a
production release of OpenStack that expects compatibility with future
libvirt releases

http://berrange.com/posts/2011/12/19/using-command-line-arg-monitor-command-passthrough-with-libvirt-and-kvm/

Regards,
Daniel