From: openstack-bounces+dedutta=cisco.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:openstack-bounces+dedutta=cisco.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Brian Lamar
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 10:51 AM
To: openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Caching strategies in Nova ...

On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 08:55 -0300, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>> I don't doubt for a second the db is the culprit for many of our
woes.

>> The thing I like about internal caching using established tools is
>> that
>> it works for db issues too without having to resort to custom tables.
>> SQL query optimization, I'm sure, will go equally far.
>
> For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if there were things we could
> do to nova's DB to speed things up.  For instance, what if we
supported
> non-SQL data stores?

Any database is going to be slow if you're talking to it more than
necessary. Even if we replaced MySQL with the latest and greatest
web-scale noSQL database out there we'd still be slow. I'd love to see a
combination effort of improving the flexibility of the DB layer as well
as improvements surrounding the sheer number of calls to the database.