Re: hardware specifications for a little private cloud

On 03/26/2012 06:56 AM, Alberto Molina Coballes wrote:
Hi all,

Hi Alberto! Welcome to the OpenStack community :)

I'm a teacher at a sysadmin academy and we are planning to deploy a
private cloud with OpenStack for educational/training purposes. We are
currently selecting the optimal hardware configuration for our needs
and I'm asking for some help to the list.

Cool, sounds good.

Using [1] as a reference, we are clear about hardware specifications
of compute nodes (4 nodes with 2 processors), but we aren't about the
best solution for node controller and optimal storage:

Option 1:

1 server with 2 HD in RAID1 (nova controller, nova volume, glance,
...) + 1 SAN iSCSI

Option 2:

1 server with 12 HD in RAID5/6 (nova controller, nova volume, glance, ...)

We are excited about the possibilities that a private cloud brings to
us and we don't want to fail in this critical step, so any help will
be really appreciated.

Option 1 might be easier to set up and work with. Not sure about costs, though...

For small setups like this, you might want to use the Filesystem Glance storage driver targeted at the local filesystem and use the SAN+isci for the volume operations only.

This would make it a bit easier to diagnose issues and administer Glance.

Also, don't forget about MySQL, RabbitMQ and keystone. You need to put those on the controller node too! :)

Best,
-jay