Re: OVF vs. bare container formats for qcow2 images

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Lorin Hochstein wrote:

> All:
>
> Given that I have a qcow2 image from somewhere (e.g., downloaded it from a uec-images.ubuntu.com, created one from a raw image using qemu-img) that i want to add to glance:
>
> 1. How can I tell whether it's an "ovf" or "bare" container format?
> 2. Why does it matter?

I dont know either, but I do know what you want, taken from stack.sh in
devstack, which should probably be updated to not use '-A'
glance add -A "$TOKEN" \
   name="${IMAGE_NAME%.img}" is_public=true
   container_format=ami disk_format=ami <${IMAGE}

You can also add "ramdisk_id=...." and "kernel_id=...." tags in the upload
if you want that.

Note, you can do this with the Ubuntu cloud-images, and that is the best
way to put images for openstack into glance.
 $ url=https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/precise/current/precise-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img
 $ wget "$url" -O "${url##*/}"
 $ glance add name=${url##*/} is_public=true container_format=ami \
      disk_format=ami < "${url##*/}"

> Whenever I add a qcow2 image to glance, I always choose "ovf", even
> though it's probably "bare", because I saw an example somewhere, and it
> just works, so I keep doing it. But I don't know how to inspect a binary
> file to determine what its container is (if "file image.qcow2" says it's
> a QEMU QCOW2 Image (v2), does that mean it's "bare"?). In particular,
> why does the user need to specify this information?
>
> Also, are there any Linux command-line tools for inspecting/manipulating OVF containers?

Theres open-ovf, which has my name on it, but is really abandoned.

from my perspective, the OVF support in glance/openstack is really to be
ignored.