OVF vs. bare container formats for qcow2 images

All:

Given that I have a qcow2 image from somewhere (e.g., downloaded it from a uec-images.ubuntu.com, created one from a raw image using qemu-img) that i want to add to glance:

1. How can I tell whether it's an "ovf" or "bare" container format?
2. Why does it matter?

Whenever I add a qcow2 image to glance, I always choose "ovf", even though it's probably "bare", because I saw an example somewhere, and it just works, so I keep doing it. But I don't know how to inspect a binary file to determine what its container is (if "file image.qcow2" says it's a QEMU QCOW2 Image (v2), does that mean it's "bare"?). In particular, why does the user need to specify this information?

Also, are there any Linux command-line tools for inspecting/manipulating OVF containers?

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein