Re: python-glanceclient

I think Dean Troyer was going to take an even farther stance at the Summit. A unified client for all the core projects (and "OpenStack client") instead of the proliferation of separate clients that we have. As we got into really testing the Essex release these past weeks, it because pretty clear to me that the user experience of working with nova, glance, and keystone (sorry Dan, I wasn't trying to through Quantum in the mix too at the time) - was definitely working with totally separate projects. On top of which is required some pretty deep knowledge of how and where things tied in to use those clients effectively (i..e don't use "nova project list", use "keystone tenant-list".

These all made sense while focused on the individual projects, but make for a confusing proliferation of tools needed to deploy, run and use OpenStack.

OpenStack would be well served to consolidate the clients, or at the very least drive further against the ideas started in http://wiki.openstack.org/UnifiedCLI to make the command structure, responses, and options available in clients consistent. For horizon, just having python libraries that don't require the entire back-end of a system to be installed was necessary, so the proliferation didn't matter that much. We are evolving beyond that now.

-joe