Re: Agreeing a common set of Image Properties

On Apr 7, 2012 9:25 PM, "Justin Santa Barbara" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Padraig & Nathanael - virt-inspector is a great source of
inspiration.  Can we put the virt-inspector output into a glance property?
 Would all the clouds agree to do that?

> I still would also like simpler metadata, as it just feels like too much
information and work required for what is a comparatively simple use case
("launch the official Debian Squeeze image" either "the latest one" or "a
known revision").

I envision an inspection step after image upload in glance that would try
to pull the virt-inspector info (or any other attributes). Then glance
would add those attributes as individual image properties automatically
(not the entire virt-inspector XML dump).  The base OS distro and
versioning should be easy to get as stated previously. Some of the other
pieces you're looking for that involve dates/updates might be a bit more
difficult to automate (it presumes that timestamps and other things are to
be trusted).

> Most importantly, I would like to see a solution to this now, rather than
with the next release... If we agree these attributes now, we won't have to
solve the unification problem in 6 months.

I think this would be a good discussion for the summit. If you can get
people to agree on naming (always more difficult than it should be), then
you can start using them while support is added in the code to automate
setting them.

> Padraig: Can you explain the issue with "updated_through"?  I would have
thought that would define a unique set of package versions (if I'm using
the standard repos)?  I expect that most people will either want to pick
the oldest image (with a particular minor vision) or the newest image (with
the greatest minor version), so it might be that this simply doesn't matter
other than to define an ordering.  It might also be that the creation date
is adequate here.

> I have no objection to whatever attributes we define today being
populated automatically using these cool tools in future!

> Justin

Nate