Re: I18n issue for OpenStack

Sheng Bo Hou wrote:
> After the research done by my colleage Edward Zhang and myself, we have
> found the following issues for openstack. We have already raised bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/974810
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/974810> .
> [...]

Thanks for your analysis. We plan to discuss how to fix and extend I18N
at the summit. One question that was raised on the ML in February was
whether internationalization was actually worth the effort for
infrastructure software like OpenStack.

I'll be the first to admit that there are other languages than English,
but all our open development is based in English already (bugs, reviews,
commit messages, mailing-lists, IRC...), so I don't think supporting
more languages in the software itself will help growing our developer
community.

On our users community, do operators of OpenStack need translated error
messages ? Given that translations are often incomplete, is it worth it
? What do comparable infrastructure open source software projects
provide ? The effort to provide them has proven non-trivial, I'd like to
make sure it's time well spent.

Please weigh in as a lot of our international community won't be around
in San Francisco next week, and I want their voice heard :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack