Re: I18n issue for OpenStack

On 04/11/2012 08:41 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
Sheng Bo Hou wrote:
After the research done by my colleage Edward Zhang and myself, we have
found the following issues for openstack. We have already raised bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/974810
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/974810>  .
[...]

Thanks for your analysis. We plan to discuss how to fix and extend I18N
at the summit. One question that was raised on the ML in February was
whether internationalization was actually worth the effort for
infrastructure software like OpenStack.

I'll be the first to admit that there are other languages than English,
but all our open development is based in English already (bugs, reviews,
commit messages, mailing-lists, IRC...), so I don't think supporting
more languages in the software itself will help growing our developer
community.

I would tend to disagree with that. People are more likely to invest their time in software if they'll be able to use it better in their locale. I think this is definitely even more true in places where English has less of a dominant presence. It may even bring people to the table solely interested in helping with translation. I've seen that happen elsewhere.

On our users community, do operators of OpenStack need translated error
messages ? Given that translations are often incomplete, is it worth it
? What do comparable infrastructure open source software projects
provide ? The effort to provide them has proven non-trivial, I'd like to
make sure it's time well spent.

If we want to think about OpenStack as a basic building block like Apache, i18n is critical. Otherwise there are regions that won't adopt it solely because of a lack of i18n.

Is there a metric on the completeness so far? Something automated that could be a jenkins coverage kind of test?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center