Re: running HA cluster of guests within openstack

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Jason Kölker <jkoelker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 12:31 +0300, ikke wrote:
>
>> 1. Private networks between guests
>>   -> Doable now using Quantum
>> 1.1. Defining VLANs visible to guest machines to separate clusters
>> internal traffic,
>>        VLAN tags should not be stripped by host (QinQ)
>
> VLANs and Quantum private networks are pretty much the same thing, why
> would you want both?

For legacy reasons. The cluster at the moment handles the cluster
internal network with VLANs, and for such the cloud layer should just
virtualize the HW functionality. It would need to provide the VLAN
layer for guests for the time being until the guest could be modified
not to require it and handle VLAN network configuration via OpenStack
interfaces instead.

Some of the questions are due the legacy need. OpenStack would offer
similar functionality, but if you intend to bring a legacy apps as
such into cloud, there is plenty of modifications needed to adapt the
legacy SW into cloud concepts. Adaptation takes time, and in some
cases it might be cheaper & faster to adapt the cloud layer to provide
legacy HW as virtualized, HW abstraction layer.

While talking about legacy SW, I mean HUGE amount of code written over
decades, which is not easily modifiable.

>> 1.2. Set pre-defined MAC addresses for the guests, needed by non-IP
>>        traffic within the guest cluster (layer2 addressing)
> If you send the mac address to Melange when you create the interface it
> will record it for that instance:
>
> http://melange.readthedocs.org/en/latest/apidoc.html#interfaces

Thanks for the link, it is exactly what I was looking for!

 -it