Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:01:03 +0530
Subject: Re: [Netstack] [Openstack] OpenStack Quantum plugins
From: hitesh.wadekar@xxxxxxxxx
To: salmanmk@xxxxxxxx; netstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: dan@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Salman,

I think Dan explained pretty well, which will be covered all the quantum thoughts that you have asked me. There might be some code changes are going to happen for Folsom design feature implementation.

Also, please have a look at here,

1. http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumAPIUseCases
2. http://qconlondon.com/dl/qcon-london-2012/slides/SalvatoreOrlando_QuantumVirtualNetworksForOpenStackClouds.pdf

3. http://www.slideshare.net/danwent/quantum-folsom-summit-developer-overview
4. http://www.slideshare.net/danwent/openstack-quantum-intro-os-meetup-32612

If you go to Salvatore's 'Inside_Quamtum' 'slide, It provides quite a good deal of details concerning about How the nova interacts with Quantum.

On the VIF driver side, that is a piece which runs in the nova address space, and tells VM being spawned how their VIF should be plugged into networks. There are VIF drivers for Quantum as well as VIF drivers for the other network managers. VIF drivers can be both plugin and hypervisor specific. For instance, nova/virt/<hypervisor_driver>/vif (e.g.: nova/virt/xenapi/vif).

For OVS and more on Network, please refer this link,   http://openvswitch.org/support/, go for

1. J. Pettit, J. Gross “Open vSwitch Overview,”
2. S. Horman, “An Introduction to Open vSwitch,”

If you want to see advance networking virtualization, refer these papers,

1. J. Pettit, J. Gross, B. Pfaff, M. Casado, S. Crosby, “Virtual Switching in an Era of Advanced Edges,”
2. B. Pfaff, J. Pettit, T. Koponen, K. Amidon, M. Casado, S. Shenker, “Extending Networking into the Virtualization Layer,”

I hope these will help. I am also exploring the code :) (still learner)

Thanks,
Hitesh