Re: Websocket support long term

On 05/30/2012 09:28 PM, Adam Young wrote:
The recent discussion about node.js made me rethink the state of
Websocket support for Apache and Openstack. A quick recap:

1) neither mod_wsgi nor mod_proxy support Web sockets.
2) There is a Websocket Module for Apache, but using it requires an
additional apache module.
3) There is websocket support in Eventlet.
4) The argument for node.js is the same for Eventlet: rapid dispatch to
support a large number of connections
5) noVNC currently uses websockify, and uses a simplistic web server to
proxy over VNC traffic.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the simplest, and most
correct path forward is to use the websocket Apache module, and to write
an additional module that will hook it up to Eventlet. Eventlet can
listen on a local Port (127.0.0.1 only) and Apache will map that to a
suburl. I'll code name it mod_websocket_proxy for now.

<snip>

Adam, other than the NoVNC piece in Nova and the Horizon project in general, where do you see the need for Websockets in OpenStack? I could easily be mistaken (happens a lot!), but I see Websockets as a great tool for client-side and UI interaction, and not so much useful in the eventlet servers that we use for so many OpenStack services (nova-api, swift-proxy, glance-api, glance-registry, keystone-api, etc). Could you elaborate how you see Websockets (and your proposed mod_websocket_proxy) being useful to OpenStack services outside of horizon and noVNC?

Thanks!
-jay