Re: Deleting a volume stuck in "attaching" state?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 11:52 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
>>>
>>> A strategy we are making in Nova (WIP) is to allow instance
>>> termination no matter what. Perhaps a similar strategy could be
>>> adopted for volumes too? Thanks,
>>

>> The 'nova-manage volume delete ...' solution worked just fine in this
>> case...but in general, as a consumer of the software, we would really
>> prefer to be able to delete things regardless of their state using
>> established tools, rather than manipulating the database directly.
>> I'm always worried that I'll screw something up due to my incomplete
>> understanding of the database schema.
>

> Agreed. I think that the DELETE API calls should support a "force" parameter
> that would stop any pending operation, cleanup any mess, and delete the
> resource.
>
> The fact that nova-manage volume delete works is really just because the
> nova-manage tool talks directly to the database, and I know that Vish and
> others are keen to have all tools speak only the REST APIs and not any
> backdoor interfaces or database queries directly...
>
> Best,
> -jay

Just as an FYI, there is a bug related to this

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/944383

and similar to

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/953594

We would like to see this functionality as well, but if it is exposed
as an api call, we need to make sure other artifacts are cleaned up as
well.  The fix for the latter bug at least allows us to delete a
volume that is an error state.

In a similar vein, it would be really nice to have a force detach as
described in

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/944383

--
Chuck