Re: RFC: Thoughts on improving OpenStack GIT commit practice/history

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [...]
> In other words, when reviewing a change in Gerrit, do not simply look at
> the correctness of the code. Review the commit message itself and request
> improvements to its content. Look out for commits which are mixing multiple
> logical changes and require the submitter to split them into separate commits.
> Ensure whitespace changes are not mixed in with functional changes. Ensure
> no-op code refactoring is done separately from functional changes. And so
> on.
> [...]

Nice work, and agreed on all points ! I particularly hate the
single-line "Fixes bug 1234566"-type commit messages.

Is there a way a concise version of this advice could find its way into
HACKING.rst ? And/Or into http://wiki.openstack.org/ReviewChecklist ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack