Re: [OpenStack][Swift] Some questions about the performance of swift .

XFS keeps some useful runtime statistics on /proc/fs/xfs/stat that can be
maybe used to test this theory:  http://xfs.org/index.php/Runtime_Stats

In particular, the following stats could be useful:

xs_dir_lookup (xfs.dir_ops.lookup)

   - This is a count of the number of file name directory lookups in XFS
   filesystems. It counts only those lookups which miss in the operating
   system's directory name lookup cache and must search the real directory
   structure for the name in question. The count is incremented once for each
   level of a pathname search that results in a directory lookup.

xs_ig_missed (xfs.inode_ops.ig_missed)

   - This is the number of times the operating system looked for an XFS
   inode in the inode cache and the inode was not there. The further this
   count is from the ig_attempts count the better.

Compare the number of cache misses when the system is normal, and when the
system performance is degraded.

I've been running into similar problems too, in a setup with lots of small
files. Does anyone knows how big is the XFS inode and directory caches?