From: Dan Wendlandt [mailto:dan@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 12:57 PM
To: Hirschfeld, Rob
Cc: openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; openstack-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Quantum vs. Nova-network in Folsom

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM,  <Rob_Hirschfeld@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stackers,
>
> I think this is a reasonable approach and appreciate the clarification of use-cases.
>
> We've been discussing using Open vSwitch as the basis for non-Quantum Nova Networking deployments in Folsom.  While not Quantum, it feels like we're bringing Nova Networking a step closer to some of the core technologies that Quantum uses.
>
> I'm interested in hearing what other's in the community think about this approach.

One of the main reasons we introduced Quantum was to support alternative switching technologies like Open vSwitch.  I'd like to hear more about your thoughts, but at first glance, I'm not sure there's a good way to leverage Open vSwitch in a meaningful way with existing nova-network managers, since those network managers are so tightly tied to using the basic linux bridge + vlans.

Dan