Re: paas in openstack and forked cloudfoindry

On 09/12/2012 09:13 PM, Frans Thamura wrote:
hi all

we try to make openstack as paas using cloudfoundry. and also seeking
alternative to it

shocked that there are forked cloudfiundry. and got that vmware manage
different way his cloudfoundry

there are piston, stackato i hear appfog

never hear cf manage the way people do. in this case forking esp bosh

bosh is the link to openstack and got the forker using openstack as platform

i try to see in different way. hoe openstack work with them and what is
the best

glad there are competition. but sadly one become many rather unique
innovation

any feedback? i try to promote open paas and openstack in one community
program

thx all

Frans Thamura
Meruvian

Warning - I'm a biased party since I work on OpenShift, but I couldn't resist...

Another good option to consider is OpenShift. OpenShift [1] has also been designed from the ground up around an extensible 'cartridge' model [2] that allows any software to be integrated and managed by the platform. OpenShift's dependencies are also isolated to the operating system which allow it to work on any IaaS solution like OpenStack. We think the combination of secure multi-tenancy that OpenShift provides in conjunction with private cloud capabilities that OpenStack provides is really powerful. If you want to see something up and running quickly, you can check out what the Heat API guys have done with OpenStack + OpenShift [3].

In terms of PaaS 'API' standardization, I think the industry is a ways out from that. While higher level PaaS API's might seem to provide portability, many lower level details still are exposed that the applications are forced to deal with. Those include things like application runtimes, storage, operating system versions and isolation techniques.

That said, our goal is to build strong standards in this space over time. We are involved in several industry PaaS standards but they are still a ways out from being finalized [4][5]. Also, consider how fast the multi-tenancy technologies themselves are evolving in the operating system (e.g. kernel namespaces, linux control groups, selinux sandboxes) in addition to the ways to utilize them (e.g. lxc). Given that pace, it feels a little early to make long term decisions about where to draw the line between a virtual machine and a linux container. Knowing how to leverage 'containers' is critical enough for a PaaS that I believe we'll have to have more standardization at that layer before we see the PaaS evolution slow down.

In the meantime though, we're going to keep hacking on OpenShift and OpenStack, so if there is anything you'd like to see, just let us know! [6]

1 - http://red.ht/In0DOn
2 - http://red.ht/Il2XBZ
3 - https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Runningopenshift
4 - http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/08/CAMP-PaaS