Re: [openstack] config_drive <Image UUID> doesn't create disk.config

On Dec 2, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Jian Hua Geng <gengjh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I saw the comments in the https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1029647 , can anyone give me more detail introduction of this decision about why the functionality for using an image id for config drive was removed?
>
> Just for example for our requirement: We want create a CDROM and write some information in it such as the sysprep info for windows when run vm.
> First we need extend the config drive to support both cdrom and file disk device, second we create an iso image in glance which is used to save the sysprep info and share with other user in cloud, then wen can use this config_drive_id to load the iso.
> Have any suggestion or solution for this requirement?

Here is one option that you could use. Create a volume instead of an image (or create the volume from the image), snapshot the volume. If you pass the volume snapshot in as a secondary drive in block_device_mapping on boot, then you will get a volume copy of the image. If it is delete_on_terminate=True then the volume will be deleted when you terminate the vm.

Vish