Re: New build dependency on keyring

The short answer is that it gives you extra security... if you wish to use it.

If you're fine with relying on the file permission of nova.conf, glance.conf, etc. to keep any baddies from seeing the clear text passwords in there, then you're right, it doesn't give you anything.

If, on the other hand, you have a large security group that nearly faints when they see clear text passwords, no matter what the file permission are, this allows you to move your password into an encrypted store of your choosing. Just specify a secure_source that implements KeyringBackend and you can be as secure as you wish.

The main point is that you don't have to use it and the default behavior (don't specify a 'secure_source') will be that things behave exactly as before. The only real extra complexity is that we'd add an additional package (keyring) to the dependency list.

As I mentioned originally, there's already some optional keyring usage in keystone client. It seems like we could have *less* complexity if it were a hard dependency instead of having the code check if the import worked or not.

Ken