Re: How to generate an API key

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Emilio García <
emilio.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank your for taking your time answering.
>
> I am aware about this not being a Zenoss list, so this was just to give a
> little bit of background. I can only find this sentence concerning API keys:
>
> *Note: An API key — provided by some cloud providers auth systems. You or
> your OpenStack provider's administrator/support staff can revoke it and
> generate a new one. While an authentication token can have a short
> lifespan, an API key lasts until it is regenerated.*
>
> However I cannot see anywhere any reference on how to generate API keys
> (not tokens). It is just like some kind of holy grail which is mentioned
> but anyone really knows where exactly is. Am I overlooking something very
> obvious? Closest reference I found suggested that the API key could be just
> a user's password. Is that so? or is a dead end?

API keys are specific to the provider. For example, Rackspace lets their
users authenticate with either a username and password or a username and
API key. See:

http://docs.rackspace.com/servers/api/v2/cs-devguide/content/curl_auth.html

> In a nutshell I am very confused about what is a API key exactly and how
> can they be generated (not a token).

I think it really depends on your provider. Perhaps some others can chime
in.

Anne